National Democratic Congress (NDC) secretary for Navrongo Central Constituency, Dr. Selanwiah S.Mumin, has in extreme intensity of emotions, condemned the acts of violence in the just ended Ayawaso West -Wuogon constituency by-election.
The opposition party secretary says the violent nature of the by-election was against accepted standards and is clear indication of how insecure times have become under the New Patriotic Party (NPP)government.
The Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency went into a by-election on Thursday January 31 st 2019, after the demise of Emmanuel Agyarko who was Member of Parliament for the area. Mr. Agyarko died in November 2018 after battling short illness.
The by-election was characterized by attacks as masked men, said to be operatives of National Securitywent loose firing guns sporadically and nearly disrupting the electoral processes.
Speaking on the sideline during a presser, Dr. Selanwiah S. Mumin, said the violence is threat to national security. He expressed his fears for the Country in future elections and stated his disappointment in the
manner in which security agencies especially the police have handled the attacks.
He called for a thorough investigation into Thursday’s unrest to aid in unmasking the men behind the attacks that have left many supporters of the NDC injured.
“Ghana is not safe anymore under this NPP government. Our forefathers fought and gave us freedom.
They liberated us from our colonial masters and gave us peace and freedom. But the NPP government has made this country insecure and there is no freedom and peace anymore. What happened in Ayawaso West Wuogon was very bad and should not be allowed to go just like that. The NPP intentionally brought in those hoodlums to create chaos and to intimidate people in their favour.
We the NDC are a peace loving party and will always be. We are calling on the NPP government to as a matter of urgency, investigate the violence that have left many of our supporters injured. All those
masked men who were said to be members of the security must be investigated and punished if found culpable”. He noted.
Meanwhile, the party executives have accused the NPP government of stealing the Tono Water Treatment Plant project from them.
They say the project which was sod-cut by the Minister for Sanitation and Water Resources in Navrongo on January 28 th 2019, is a “development project” of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) which had already been commissioned by then President John Dramani Mahama in 2016.
Their accusations come after Government last week Monday, led by the sector Minister Cecilia Dapaah
performed the ground breaking ceremony for work to begin in the construction of a Water Treatment
Facility at Tono.
“On 28th of January, the minister for water resources and sanitation came to Navrongo to cut sod for Tono water treatment project and that the chiefs and people say thank you to NPP.
We are aware of NPP for their skills in plagiarism which they have demonstrated right from the day you assumed power from plagiarizing the speeches of other presidents to stealing of developmental projects
from the past government.
On 14 th July, 2016, the former president, His excellency John Dramani Mahama came to Navrongo and commissioned an 8.5million dollar water project in the Kassena-Nankana Municipality of the Upper East Region”. The executives said in a statement.